To commemorate the sinking of Titanic on the morning of April 15th, 1912, we revisit a movie that stayed afloat long past anyone's expectations.
Joining us for this episode is filmmaker and artist Claudia Bitran, currently working on a shot-for-shot remake of the record-breaking 1997 James Cameron film.
All of us watched Titanic as early teens, so the time seems ripe to reassess it now that we're grown-ass women. We also take a closer look at what has buoyed the film while simultaneously making it a target of mockery: teen female fandom.
Plus: Hear about some of our listeners' tender memories of watching the film, and tell us yours by leaving a message at 530-628-3379.
- See more of Claudia Bitran's work HERE
- Titanic's alternate ending [video]
- Titanic survival results on MythBusters [video]
- A Reevaluation of Titanic by Dana Stevens
- Why Don’t Studios Rerelease Movies More Often? by Jim Pagels
- Vulture’s Comprehensive Timeline of Titanic’s Cultural Dominance in 1998 by Gwynne Watkins
- Titanic Force of a Young Woman in Love by Lorrie Moore
- And of course: http://fuckyeahdicaprio.tumblr.com